What is External Ids?
An External Id is a custom field that has the “External Id” attribute, meaning that this filed is a primary key and it contains unique record identifiers from a system outside of Salesforce. Salesforce allows up to 3 fields as External Id and these fields must be text, number or email field types.
What is the use of External Ids?
Basically we use “External Id” to match on for updates. When we perform
update, we can match on this “External Id” field. External Id is a manual record Id will be used to integrate with external system.
What is the advantage of External Ids?
- The import wizard will detect existing records in Salesforce that have the same External Id.
- When using the
upsert command during data loading, we can reference the External Id field instead of the Salesforce Id.
- When we load data from external systems, We can use External Ids to prevent duplicate records from being created as a result of the import operation.
- Fields marked as External Ids are searchable in the sidebar search.
Important Points to Remember in Salesforce:
- We can track 20 fields for an object. We can’t track Roll-Up Summary and formula fields. We can’t create Roll-Up Summary field on User object.
- Capacity of picklist values are 300.
- Lenght of Check syntax: 4000 characters
- Length of the formula: 1300 characters. Size of the formula: 5000 bytes
- Only 10 Roll-Up Summary fields we can create per an object. We can create Roll-Up Summary field on parent object to perform operations on child object.
- Roll-Up Summary field performs 4 types of operations on child object. They are 1.Count 2.Sum 3.Min 4.Max.
- We can add 20 components for a dashboard.
- We can display 1000 records on each visualforce page.
- PageBlockSectionItem will take only 2 visualforce components.
- Standard fields are Owner, Name, Created By, Last Modified By, Currency, Division.
- We can’t create Look-Up or Master-Detail Relationship on User Object.
__c is for Custom objects For example:
Custom_Object__c . It is used for reference custom object in Apex or visualforce page, formula field etc internally. Used as suffix.
__r is for Custom objects reference For example:
Custom_Object__r . It is used for reference custom object relationship name in Apex or visualforce page, formula field etc. Used as suffix.
A group consists of a set of users. A group can contain individual users, other groups, or the users in a particular role or territory. It can also contain the users in a particular role or territory plus all the users below that role or territory in the hierarchy.
Queues help your teams manage leads, cases, service contracts, and custom objects. Once records are placed in a queue manually or through an automatic case or lead assignment rule, records remain there until they’re assigned to a user or taken by one of the queue members. Any queue member or users above them in the role hierarchy can take ownership of records in a queue. Use queues to route lead, case, and custom object records to a group.
Difference between Public Group and Queue:
|Queues are used primary as Owners of records.
||Public Groups are used primary for security.
|Queue is a feature available to salesforce.com users that allows you to integrate prospect assignments with your current salesforce.com workflow. Rather than assigning to a specific user, you can choose to assign leads to a salesforce.com queue and then use your CRM workflow or manual method of distributing leads to sales representatives.
||Public Group is kind of team or group of related users, this will help to share the data.
|Queues are typically used when you want to assign a record to a bunch of users.Using Queues you can assign a record to multiple users, so that any member of the queue can work on the record. It also allows the users to have there separate views.
||Group on the other hand are used more for a sharing purpose. They are not the owner of the records like queue, but can share the records in terms of access.
|Queue can be created for Custom objects and for Case, Lead and Knowledge Article Version.
||Public group created can be used across any objects.